1st July 1868
perf 14, no wmk, typographed
Printed by the Government Printing Works, Madrid
|20 centimos brown||1||1|
Fernano Po Province
|1960 Sc181 SG220|
Generally called Fernando Po, though the stamps are inscribed Fernando Poo, this is an island in the Gulf of Guinea, off West Africa, discovered by Fernão do Poo in 1472. It was the first Spanish Colony to issue stamps. Mackay  states that, “For some inexplicable reason (perhaps economy) it was decided to dispense with separate issues for the island, and in December 1868 the stamp was withdrawn. From then until 1879 the stamps of Cuba and Puerto Rico [the second Spanish colony to issue stamps] were employed … identifiable by their postmark, [these] are of considerable interest and rarity. ”
In July 1959, Spanish Guinea split into two Overseas Provinces, Fernando Po (including Annobon) and Rio Muni (comprising Rio Muni, Elobey and Corisco).
In October 1968 Fernando Po rejoined Rio Muni to form the Republic of Equatorial Guinea and in 1973 the island changed its name to Macias Nguema Biyoga.