A 2017 resolution is to look into Search Engine Optimisation and log progress here.
The starting point is hubspot.com's recommendation of 10 SEO tools. This will be Phase I.
A summary of the action points:
- One thing noted during this exercise it that old-fashioned static sites (as opposed to dynamic sites, where every
scroll with sausage fingers shoots you off to another unwanted advertisement) are becoming popular again.
It was argued that staticisity (?) was desirable for this site as it was intended to resemble a stamp album. What goes around comes around.
- Create a site map. Doing so highlighted broken internal links which were resolved on 9thJan17 and the file uploaded.
- Create a robots.txt file to prevent the old site pages being crawled.
- The site is deemed to be mobile-unfriendly. The links are too small to poke with a finger and the page does not
resize to fit the screen. Under investigation.
Some time was spent on this but the results made no difference
on the computer and just made things worse on tablets and the mobile. Apple and Android tablets operate differently
and so there is no sensible and straightforward way of doing so and thus the problem will be ignored for now.
A lot of the received wisdom relates to mentions on social media. Without wishing to stereotype FICC members or stamp collectors in general,
they are not likely to be the most active users of social media simply because most did not grow up with it.
Nevertheless, we'll have to try, so this will be a concurrent Phase II of the SEO project.
- Buttons have been added to the home page to share FICC on twitter, facebook and linkedin.
A message has been posted on the forum asking membersto click the buttons every so often.
|Page created 31 Dec 2016