1st September 1874
perf 14, Crown and CC wmk, typo
Printed by De La Rue, London.
|Manuscript surcharge on Cape of Good Hope stamp|
|1 penny on 4d blue||1||1|
Wikipedia describes Griqualand West as "a former British colony that is now part of South Africa" .
The first stamp was the sc17, SG24a of Cape of Good Hope, "surcharged in [dark] red manuscript by the Kimberley postmaster" . This was the only such stamp issued, followed by two printed overprints of "G. W." (ScS2-3, SG2-3) and then a great many variations in font and colour overprints of a single "G" (Sc4-102, SG4-29).
When the territory merged with Cape Ccolony in 1880, the remaining overprinted stock was returned to Cape Town and distibuted throughout the colony for normal use.